tawkboard.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
We may earn a commission when you buy through links on our site at no extra cost to you. Here is our Affiliate disclosure page
Top 15 Best Aquarium Heaters Review and Guide
Most aquatic animals are cold-blooded animals, but they still need to have the right temperatures for them to thrive.
At times, the temperatures in your house may cause cold down, and you may have to heat the room to maintain the right temperatures for your fish to survive.
Aquarium heaters are the best devices that you can use to make your aquarium warm. They come to different brands and prices.
You need to choose the right aquarium heaters that do not cause harm to your animals.
Before selecting an aquarium heaters, you should first know the right size of your aquarium.
You should not purchase an aquarium heater that is larger than the size of your aquarium.
You can always ask for help from the seller about the most appropriate heaters that you should purchase for your fish.
Here is a guide on some of the best aquarium heaters to use for your fish to give them a happier experience.
Types of Aquarium Heaters
Description of the Orlushy Submersible Aquarium Heater
This type of heater is a good choice or both freshwater and salty water environments. It remains one of the best that you can choose thanks to its submersible mechanism.
The heater is great to use in up to 80 gallons, and it is a high-quality device that you can use to keep your aquarium warm.
The benefits that this type of heater offers you are amendable.
Features of the Orlushy Submersible Aquarium Heater
Ideal for both fresh and salty water: the heater does not seem to have any limitations when it comes to the environments that you can use it,
and this gives you a chance to select the device that you prefer from the diverse options that the brand offers.
Adjustable: this type of heater allows you to choose the rate of temperature that you want for your fish.
With the area that it shows you, it gets easy to set the temperature according to the intervals that you want.
Automatic shut off: this type of heater is a great deal as it goes off and on automatically whenever it reaches the right temperatures according to your settings.
The heater is of 100W, and it has a voltage of 9V
Pros of the Orlushy Submersible Aquarium Heater
- Highly efficient: the heater allows you to bring heating in 80 gallons of the water.
- You can place the heater in both horizontal and vertical positions, and this creates a better chance for you to enjoy a diverse way of heating your tank
- The heater is made of a glass that is explosion-proof, and this gives you a better chance of maintaining the safety of your fish and the aquatic animals that you may have in your aquarium.
- Its automatic setting nature enables you to have an easy time knowing that it got the job done by turning off whenever it reaches the right temperatures.
Cons of the Orlushy Submersible Aquarium Heater
- Large and heavy: the heater comes in a big size that may be tiring to install and place in your aquarium
- Controlling the rate of heating with this type of heater is challenging as it at times never turns out to be reliable.
Description of the Hygger Titanium Aquarium Heater
If you are looking for a digital heater to use in your aquarium, this type of heater is the best you can get in the market.
It comes in a sleek package made of high quality and premium materials. The heater entails a thermostat, heater and thermometer. It surely meets all your aquarium heating needs.
Features of the Hygger Titanium Aquarium Heater
The heater is good for about 25 to 40 gallons
Automatic control that allows you to monitor the temperatures and adjust them according to how you like them.
The controller of the heater automatically recalls all the settings that you set.
Besides, you just need to set the thermometer, and it automatically complete the rest of your heat needs, and it shuts on automatically when the temperatures go below 1F.
The digital display comes in LED, and you can read the temperatures to see if they are as you set them. It shows the temperatures of the water and that which you set.
Wide temperature options that you can choose depending on those that are appropriate for your fish.it gives you both Celsius and Fahrenheit options.
Pros of the Hygger Titanium Aquarium Heater
- Gives accurate temperature readings: being one of the best aquarium heaters you can have, the device gives you the most accurate temperatures, and it keeps giving you the right records depending on the state of the weather and how you set it.
- Automatic: the heater shuts off automatically whenever the water reaches the right temperature depending on how you set it
- Corrosion-resistant: the heart does not wear out or corrode quickly, and it gives you more service due to its materials that do not get damaged even after staying submerged in water.
- Easy to use: the device does not give you a hard time whenever you need to set it. Besides, it has a reader manual that guides you on how you can set it and read the temperatures without needing extra help
- The heater does not offer you diverse ways on how you can place it in your water tank. You can only place it in a horizontal position.
- Expensive: This type of heater is not affordable due to the vast options that it brings to users.
Description of the Cobalt Aquatics Tank Aquarium Heaters
If you need a heater with the best design, this is probably the best that you can get.
The heater also offers many options for heating your water tank. It offers you an easy way to control it, and with its aesthetic design, you can barely know that it is an aquarium heater.
Features of the Cobalt Aquatics Tank Aquarium Heaters
- The heater has a compact shape that is a great choice for small aquariums as it ensures the proper recording and regulation of temperatures.
- Fashionable design: if you are looking for a heater that gives your house an aquarium a sleek and aesthetic look, this compact, sleek design heater is the best choice for you
- Sturdy: this type of heater is god due to its strong nature that allows it to last long and give you a durable feel that saves you from the agony of purchasing new devices frequently
- Fully submersible: the heater is safe to use as you can submerge it in your water aquarium to record the best temperatures and water heat regulations depending on the settings that you give
Pros of the Cobalt Aquatics Tank Aquarium Heater
- The heater has an innovative design, and its materials are made of high technology that prevents it from overheating thus giving it a prolonged life
- Adjustable: you can make changes in the rage of the temperatures of the device and select the temperature that you find right for your fish and aquatic animals
- Easy to set up: this type of heater is easy to assemble, and with the many instructions that it offers in the manual, nothing can prove complicated to its users.
- The shatterproof nature of the heater allows you to submerge it to water and despite the temperature range of the water in the aquarium, it cannot break
Cons of the Cobalt Aquatics Tank Aquarium Heater
- Expensive: the device comes at an overly high price tag, and you may have to find another option if you are on a tight budget
- The materials used in making the suction cups tend not to be strong, and they do not last long as one would expect
Description of the Aqueon Pro Adjustable Aquarium Heater
The heater lasts long due to the durability and strength of the materials that make it.
It is a safe device to use, and it makes most of your heating endeavours smooth through its shatter sound whenever it completes the process of heating.
It is a great choice for people with different aquarium sizes.
Features of the Aqueon Pro Adjustable Aquarium Heaters
- Durable: the device features strong materials that offer you longer service for sustainability and cost-saving
- You can adjust the heat of the device depending on how you want to get your water heating activities to go on
- The device has an LED light that indicates the process of heating. When it is on the light turns red and when it is not heating the light is green
- Shatterproof and thus it cannot break even on exposure to high heat
Pros of the Aqueon Pro Adjustable Aquarium Heater
- The warranty of the device is realistic, and one can enjoy a long time of service for better results
- Durable: the device can give you a longer service due to the strong nature of its materials
- This type of heater provides accurate readings to help you be alert on the level at which your aquarium water is warm
- Affordable: the price of the item is reasonable considering the quality of the device
Cons of the Aqueon Pro Adjustable Aquarium Heater
- Sort life: the device tends to get damaged in just a few months after purchasing it. As a result, you may need to keep purchasing new devices now and then
- The large sizes of this device seem to be exaggerated due to their length
- The device only comes in a black housing that may be unappealing to some buyers
Description of the AquaTop Quartz Aquarium Heater
This type of heater is usable or tanks with over 13gallons. The heater comes in a wide range of sizes, and it gets the work done in a short time. It is one of the best that you can choose to use in your tank.
The heater gives you an unforgettable experience that entails a good price that you need not worry about spending a huge amount that you may not have planned for buying a heater.
Features of the AquaTop Quartz Aquarium Heater
- Fully submersible: with this type of heater, you are sure to get your aquarium water warm as you can submerge it fully to the water for the best results
- The heater gives you a broad range of choices in terms of the temperatures that you get to select for your aquarium water
- It uses about 50watts, and thus it saves power
- Setting the device is not a complicated task as you have all the instructions in the manual
Pros of the AquaTop Quartz Aquarium Heater
- Sturdy: the glass of the device is constructed strongly to give you a longer service that lasts you to save money
- Easy to use: using and setting this type of heater is never difficult as the instructions are easy to read. Besides, you can also set it without using the user manual
- Affordable: whenever you choose to purchase this type of heater, you do not have many worries as it comes at a friendly price that saves you cost
- Fast: the heater gets the work done in a few minutes after submerging it into your water tank
Cons of the AquaTop Quartz Aquarium Heater
- The glass used in the manufacture of the heater is not shutter proof, and this makes it a risky choice to use n your water aquarium as it may break quickly if you expose it to high temperatures
- Lacks accuracy: the device that reads the temperatures is never accurate at times, and if you fail to be careful, it may give you the wrong readings hence exposing your fish to high heat waves which may be troublesome and very dangerous to your fish
- Short life: this type of heater does not last long. After using it for about two years, it may end up faulty and never work. At times, it may overheat your water thus putting your fish in danger
Description of the SZELAM Mini Aquarium Heater
If you own a small aquarium and you need to purchase the best aquarium heater for the latter, you can never go astray with the SZELAM Mini Aquarium Heater.
The heater is great for tanks of about 5 gallons and below. It offers you a great experience in setting it as you need to lace it in your tank, plug it in and it gets the rest of the work done.
Features of the SZELAM Mini Aquarium Heater
- Smart control: this type of heater brings you a better experience by getting all your work done. You do not have to adjust it like in the case of other heaters manually.
- Suitable for both fresh and salty water
- Mini size that gives it a sleek look and thus you can immerse it in the water tank to get your heating requirements in a few minutes
- Quality assurance: this type of heater comes with an assurance of about one year. You can always return it in case you experience problems using it.
Pros of the SZELAM Mini Aquarium Heater
- Energy-efficient: the heater saves you power in your house hence reducing the possible high bills that you may need to pay.
- When the heater achieves the recommended temperatures, it automatically turns off
- In the purchase of the heater, you get free aquarium plastic plants
- With its suction cups, it gets easier for you to fit it in your tank quickly
Cons of the SZELAM Mini Aquarium Heater
- You can only use this heater for a very small tank. Hence it limits people with bigger ones.
- Sometimes it fails to maintain the right heat for your water tank hence not meeting your needs
Penn Plax Fish Tank Aquarium Heater
Description of the Penn Plax Fish Tank Aquarium Heater
If you are looking for a durable heater to serve you for years, this is the best aquarium water tank heater you can get.
You can place it anywhere in any position to get your water warm depending on your preferences. It also has a special nob that you can use to set and control the temperatures
Features of the Penn Plax Fish Tank Aquarium Heater
- The device is easy to program
- Usable for tanks of 10 gallons and below
- Submersible as you can place it both horizontally and vertically
- Uses both Celsius and Fahrenheit temperatures hence giving you diverse options to set your heat
Pros of the Penn Plax Fish Tank Aquarium Heater
- Easy to install as long as you follow the instructions carefully
- Has a three-year warranty and this gives you a long time to test it and know its level of reliability
- Resistant to shock
- The device is the safest you can use for both your fresh and salty water
Cons of the Penn Plax Fish Tank Aquarium Heater
- The device fails to give the right temperatures at times, and thus it cannot meet all your water heating needs for your aquarium
Hydor External Aquarium Heater
Description of the Hydor External Aquarium Heater
This type of heater offers you a diverse way to use it. It does not interfere with the beauty of your aquarium as you need to place it externally.
Besides, it is among the few aquariums that you can use for both small and large water tanks. It has a quick way of heating your water tank, and it is easy to set up.
Features of the Hydor External Aquarium Heater
- Usable in both fresh and salty water environments
- High-temperature control
- Usable externally
- Has a long hose
- Usable in both large and small tanks
Pros of the Hydor External Aquarium Heater
- Saves space as you get to use it externally from the tank
- Durable materials that give it a long-lasting life and also it enables the device to be shatterproof hence unbreakable even in worst conditions
- The device has high compatibility with most aquariums, and it gives you the freedom to use it in both large and small tanks
- You can hide the heater to bring out the beauty of your water tank aquarium
- User friendly
Cons of the Hydor External Aquarium Heater
- Expensive: the heater comes at a high price that may be discouraging to people that are on a budget
Fluval Electronic Aquarium Heater
Description of the Fluval Electronic Aquarium Heater
With its VueTech technology, this type of heater offers you a seamless experience in your heating endeavours.
Has a unique LCD screen that it uses to show the temperatures. It is a durable device that gives you a great way of monitoring your water temperatures
Features of the Fluval Electronic Aquarium Heater
- Has a coloured LCD screen for displays depending on the prevailing conditions in the tank
- Fast: the device heats your water quickly to give you a seamless encounter
- Offers your accuracy in the temperature readings thanks to the dual temperature mechanism that it has installed
Pros of the Fluval Electronic Aquarium Heater
- Has a fish guide
- Its LCD interface enables each user to keep track of the weather changes efficiently
- Its state of the start technology is a good gesture to everyone as they get to receive a fast heating response from the latter
Cons of the Fluval Electronic Aquarium Heater
- You cannot use this type of heater in water tanks with low flows
- It is not easy to use this device, and one has to be well experienced before they can efficiently use it
Description of the Eheim Jager Aquarium Heater
If you are looking for a water heater that gives you even heat distribution in your tank, this type is perfect that you can select.
It is made with a high technology that allows it to stand high temperatures and quick heat changes.
Besides, its affordability is unique and gives you vast options to choose from whenever you need the best heater for your aquarium.
Features of the Eheim Jager Aquarium Heater
- Fully submersible: you can place the entire device in your water tank and be guaranteed of a quick way to heat your water
- Has a glass that is resistant to shock and shutter hence giving you a long service
- You can regulate the temperatures of this device easily and precisely
Pros of the Eheim Jager Aquarium Heater
- Usable both in fresh and salty water
- The power cord of the heater is long, and it gives your heater a better chance of staying safe and giving you longer service as it cannot be submerged or affected by water
- The light indicator in this type of heater is excellent as it allows you to view the condition of the heater at the specific time
Cons of the Eheim Jager Aquarium Heater
- Installing the device is difficult especially if you have to do it in the horizontal position
Description of the Marineland Precision Aquarium Heater
The device comes in different sizes, and it offers you vast options for heating your water.
It is one of the best that you can select for your water heating endeavours. Besides, it is affordable and gives you even heat distribution in your water aquarium.
Features of the Marineland Precision Aquarium Heater
- Thermal switch that regulates the rate at which the device works and prevents it from overworking
- Has a heating element that allows it to save energy and keep offering you seamless heating options
- Has a dial that allows you to adjust the temperatures and control the heat
Pros of the Marineland Precision Aquarium Heater
- Strong: the device is made of strong materials that enable to last long
- Affordable: the device comes at a price that is easy to afford and reasonable
- Does not take up big space in your water tank hence giving your fish space to swim
Cons of the Marineland Precision Aquarium Heater
- At times, the device is never accurate n giving the right temperatures for your water
Description of the Finnex Hang-On Aquarium Heater
The device is made up of titanium material, and this gives it long-lasting life free form corrosion.
It is bound to offer you a seamless experience in your heating endeavours. It isone of the best water heaters that you can select for your aquarium.
Features of the Finnex Hang-On Aquarium Heater
- Has a titanium hose that enables it last long and avoids corrosion
- Has a sleek controller with an analog mode
- Ideal for up to 120 gallons
Pros of the Finnex Hang-On Aquarium Heater
- Durable: due to the sturdy materials used in making the device, it tends to give you a longer service
- It has a memory chip that allows the device to keep track of the initial temperatures that you set
- Affordable: this type of device is of a better price compared to some heaters that cannot handle the large amounts of water tanks
Cons of the Finnex Hang-On Aquarium Heater
- You must purchase an external device to control its temperatures hence it adds to the overall price of the whole system
Description of the Catalina RF-1000T Aquarium Heaters
If you have a large water tank at your home, this is the ideal water tank heater to buy. It comes in a sleek design and affordable price.
It is among the most durable heaters that you can purchase.
Features of the Catalina RF-1000T Aquarium Heater
- Durable: the device is made up of sturdy materials that prolong its life
- It is a great choice for you due to its high resistance on corrosion
- Has a long power cord that enables you to conveniently connect it t your water tank form a far distance
Pros of the Catalina RF-1000T Aquarium Heater
- Uses 100 watts in power and this enables it to save energy and cost
- Usable in large aquariums due to its high-performance capacity
- The long power cord that creates convenience
Cons of the Catalina RF-1000T Aquarium Heater
- Lacks mounting devices and this makes its loose its flexibility
Description of the JBJ Titanium Aquarium Heating System
With its high performance, this type of heater brings you a better heating experience.
It is made of titanium materials that enable it to last longer and stand the harsh water conditions, particularly those in salty water environments.
Features of the JBJ Titanium Aquarium Heating System
- LED display that allows the heater to give you clear readings of the temperatures
- The heater offers you a complete heating experience
- Remote temperature recording
Pros of the JBJ Titanium Aquarium Heating System
- The large display of the device enables you to have an easy time reading the temperatures that it records.
- Has a sharp memory and this allows it to remain updated even when you lose power supply
- Durable: the titanium used in the manufacture of the device enables it to last long
Cons of the JBJ Titanium Aquarium Heating System
- This type of device is costly, and it may not be pocket friendly for anyone that is on a budget
Description of the ViaAqua Glass Aquarium Heater
This is one of the simplest heaters that you can install in your house.
It is easy to use and records temperatures besides heating your water accordingly. It is one of the best that you can choose for your water aquarium
Features of the ViaAqua Glass Aquarium Heater
- Fully submersible: this type of heater is good to last in your water fully and provide the right heating waves
- Comes in a variety of sizes that you can select from depending on the size of your tank
Pros of the ViaAqua Glass Aquarium Heater
- Shockproof: the device is made in a way that enables it to avoid breaking as a result of changes in the heat
- You can easily adjust the temperatures using this device
- Usable in both salty and freshwater environments
Cons of the ViaAqua Glass Aquarium Heaters
- The device is not reliable as it at times turns off before it reaches the set temperatures; hence it may not meet your water heating conditions.
When selecting an aquarium water tank heater, you should consider the size of your water tank.
Be careful not to purchase a heater that is not suitable for the type of water tank that you have.
Sharing information about the kind of features you need in your heater helps you get the device that you desire.