Top 10 Best Fish Tank Filters Reviews
Fish can make good pets. Despite the aesthetic looks that fish aquariums bring to your home, you must maintain a hygienic environment for the better health and survival of your pets.
To keep beautiful and crystal clear water in your fish tank, you need to have an ideal fish tank filter for the type of fish tank that you are using.
Fish tank filters vary in shapes and functionality. The size of your aquarium determines the kind of fish tank filter that you ought to purchase.
Here is a review of the best fish tank filters that you can buy.
The Penn Plax Cascade Canister Filter 1000 helps you in a vast range of your endeavors in filtering your aquarium.
It has an external filter that has two 360-degrees tap valves that rotate.
Its pump has large trays for filtering and their input/ output startup nature allows you to start the filtering process instantly. The 1000 model is ideal for 100 gallons ad works at 265gph.
Features of the Penn Plax Cascade Canister Filter 1000
- Valves that rotate at 360 degrees: the independent valves allow for easy navigation even in tight cabinets.
- Cut off plugs: the flow rate valves enable you to adjust the water flow.
- Push the self-priming button that allows a pump to start its function without delays quickly.
- A strong base is tip-proof to enable the device to hold its weight without falling off.
- Floss pad that traps all the debris and fish waste matter in the fish tank. With the help of its sponge, there is a better environment for bacteria to thrive, thus eliminating all the harmful gases like ammonia.
- Strong hose clamps that connect the filter to the tank to enhance its functionality.
Pros of the Penn Plax Cascade Canister Filter 1000
- Low price: even with a tight budget, you can purchase the Penn Plax Cascade Canister Filter 1000 and keep your aquarium clean.
- Less noise: the filter is quiet and it does not tamper with your ears hence giving you a safe living environment.
- Sturdy: its strong supporting base anchors it to the position, thus preventing it from falling, which usually can cause its breakage.
- Easy to install: with its user manual, you can get everything running in minutes.
Cons of the Penn Plax Cascade Canister Filter 1000
High power consumption: the device uses a lot of power, which may add an extra cost to your bills.
Not powerful: the make of the gadget is not powerful for the task compared t other fish filter devices. Sometimes it may not be efficient in its work.
Slight learning curve: the device offers nothing much to help with your experience in operating it. It lacks the essential information that can enable its user to gain power and knowledge on how it works.
If you are looking to upgrade your current Fish tank filters to something better, try the Fluval All-New 07 Series Performance Canister Filter.
It is among the world`s top-selling fish tank filters and it has a wide range of features that make it qualify to this top position.
The Fluval All-New 07 Series Performance Canister Filter has a pump output of 383 gallons per hour. With its capacity of 100 gallons, it can bring efficiency at your home as long as your aquarium is not too large.
Features of the Fluval All-New 07 Series Performance Canister Filter
- Fluval eTEC technology that brings about efficiency with exceptional design to save energy.
- Motorhead clamps with a two-way lift lock that you only need to lift in a single action, to attach and detach the pump.
- A new primer with a handle can grip and lift a few times to generate pressure for pumping.
- Better AquaStop valves that bring a smoother operation due to their raised lip.
- Powerful motor that gives constant pressure and pumping for efficiency.
- A pre-filter cartridge makes the filtering process more efficient and it also increases the surface area for the procedure.
- EZ lift media baskets that save time as you only need to remove with a single finger to access everything.
Pros of the Fluval All-New 07 Series Performance Canister Filter
- Easy to use: due to its recent upgrade, the fish water tank filter is easy and quick to handle.
- Quieter: from the past customer reviews, it is evident that the device has close to no noise.
- Energy-efficient: the Fluval All-New 07 Series Performance Canister Filter saves you energy thanks to its new upgraded design.
- Robust: the materials that the company uses to manufacture the product are strong and durable, giving you an unforgettable experience.
Cons of the Fluval All-New 07 Series Performance Canister Filter
- Pricey: the Fluval All-New 07 Series Performance Canister Filter is not affordable compared to some fish tank filters and this may be a disadvantage to some buyers.
- Leakage: if the shipping company does not handle the device carefully, and if the installation process is not well guided, it may leak and flood your house.
The Marineland Magniflow Canister offers an excellent environment for you and your visitors if you use it correctly. The device is unique for both fresh and marine water. It comes in three sizes.
The 360gph is ideal for 50-100 gallons. 220 GPH for 55 gallons and the small size 160gph for 30 gallons. It is compatible with rite size filters cartridges in the marines.
Features of the Marineland Magniflow Canister
- Quick prime button: quickly fills the chamber of filtering to self startup when you need to use it.
- Canister lid: the lid is easily removed by a single lift whenever you need to access the media baskets.
- Valve block: that release quickly hence separating from the motor and immediately stops water flow in case you need to conduct any kind of maintenance.
- Filter media trays that are Stack N` Flow create diversity in the system by allowing water to flow through for chemical, mechanical and biological water filtration process.
Pros of the Marineland Magniflow Canister
- Fast: the device gets the work done in a short time. Its set up process is easy and quick.
- Powerful: the Marineland Magniflow Canister completes a full water filtering process for both salty and freshwater environments.
- Maintains healthy and clean fish aquariums at your home due to its high-end fish tank cleaning feature
- Quick maintenance: the device does not have any form of complications that can interfere with your mind and replacing faulty parts is easy.
- Easy and better seal due to its top-sealing arch
- Affordable: the fair price of the fish tank filters is excellent for buyers.
Cons of the Marineland Magniflow Canister
- Air Purges that may cause noise: at times, the filter may suck up air and release it to the tank, which may scare those using it.
- Too many filter media that may prove to be unnecessary to its users.
- Leakages: the product leaks at times if not well maintained and this may be annoying to its users as they have to keep cleaning up their areas.
With its innovative classic filter technology, the EHEIM Classic External Canister Fish Tank Filter Media brings your home`s reliability.
The device is great for compact environments and it has features that enhance its usability.
Features of the EHEIM Classic External Canister Fish Tank Filter Media
- The product has a filter volume of 3.01 hence ideal for medium size tans.
- Elastic silicon sealing rubber that allows for after closing of the product after use.
- Comes with versatile accessories.
- The product is tried and tested by the Millifold venture hence safe and recommendable for every aquarium owner.
- Comes in 5 models including: 50-150, 80-250, 120-350, 180-600, 300-1500 l.
- On purchase you get installation accessories, bar for spraying purposes a pipe and filters.
- Filter media and filter pads that bring about the flexible nature of the device.
Pros of the EHEIM Classic External Canister Fish Tank Filter Media
- Ceramic smooth spindle gentle for your hands while spinning
- Low energy consumption: the product is great for your saving plans as you only get to pay low electricity bills.
- Lasts long: the silicon filter bars that come with the product are profoundly durable and they save the cost and time of purchasing new ones.
- Great value for your money: the affordability of the gadget is amazing and you get to enjoy more for less money.
- Smooth and quiet running: with the low noise of the EHEIM Classic External Canister Fish Tank Filter Media, you can carry out your normal activities without distraction. Besides, you get to sleep peacefully.
- 2 years warranty: this favours the client because they can get any help as long as they purchase their device form a certified dealer. In case of damage or any other issues, the workers are always ready to help.
- Resistance to salty water due to its ceramic spindle features.
Cons of the EHEIM Classic External Canister Fish Tank Filter Media
- Shallow user manual: the instruction book of the product does not give a detailed description of how the product ought to be used and set up. For people that have not used a fish tank filters before, it may turn out to be challenging for them.
- Wide slats in the intake cage which creates room for the clogging of tubes in the product. The aspect may call for frequent cleaning and unclogging of the fish water tank filter.
The Penn Plax Cascade Canister Aquarium Filter Cascade® 1000 is 9kg. It pumps water for up to 1000l fish tanks to facilitate the process of filtering the tank.
The product brings you efficiency and flexibility through its three process processes of cleaning up your aquarium. It handles 265 gallons and a better version of the 700 model.
Features of the Penn Plax Cascade Canister Aquarium Filter Cascade® 1000
- 2 pin plug that allows it power itself for efficiency in cleaning.
- Two taps: which rotate at 360 degrees
- Push button that it is easy to use and give command to the rotational taps
- Strong with a high capacity that allows it to hold the thousand gallons of water to facilitate the entire process.
- Adjustable rates of water flow hat are easy to handle
Pros of the Penn Plax Cascade Canister Aquarium Filter Cascade® 1000
- Affordable: since the product is not pricey you can purchase it if you ought to buy something that brings you efficiency at a low price.
- The device filters come with all the necessary media so that you do not spend extra money purchasing them. Some products lack this pro and thus it makes them unfit for people that are on a saving mission.
- The device is quite and emits little top no noise in your house.
- Durable due to the hard plastic that the manufacturer uses to design it. With this, it gives the user a longer service as long as they take good care of it.
Cons of the Penn Plax Cascade Canister Aquarium Filter Cascade® 1000
- Setting up the device is complicated and it requires high levels of professionalism. The instructions in the user manual are limited making it difficult for the user to finish up the setting up process.
- High power consumption of upto 27w2atts
- Learning curve is limited
With its value added features, the AquaClear Power Filter – 110 V is an excellent choice for people that need to have a great experience with a strong and high quality fish water tank filter.
The filter it has a high compatibility rate and it is considered as a versatile device for use by people with aquariums. Here are the features of the product.
Features of the AquaClear Power Filter – 110 V
- Controllable re-filtration system: you can reset the flow rate of the filter depending on how you like it. There is multiple re processing of the water in your system if you set the rate to low and you have maximum filtration of your water.
- Has longer contact with the water: the filter is designed in such a way that it maintains a longer contact with the water to create room for a better cleaning up process. This adds the quality and nature of the water.
- Offers amendable varieties of media designed to increase its efficiency. The foam insert allows all the matter in the tank to settle which allows bacteria to thrive in the environment and prevent accumulation of harmful gases that can harm the fish.
- Warranty that lasts forever on the parts that a user cannot replace in future.
Pros of the AquaClear Power Filter – 110 V
- Wide varieties of sizes that allow a user to choose one that they prefer.
- Filter with diverse options that gives the user many advantages for the survival of their fish.
- Warranty that secures the product
- Coarse sponge that makes cleaning easy by clearing and trapping debris from the tank
- Affordable despite the vast benefits that it brings to clients
- Does not consume a lot of space
- Saves power and brings abut efficiency
- Ideal for all the filtration needs of a client.
Cons of the AquaClear Power Filter – 110 V
- Smaller models tend to experience problems in their flow. The issue may shorten the life of the fish.
- Heavy and carrying it may be cumbersome
- In the first days of usage it makes vibration sounds that may bother some of its users.
- Its filters are not intact compared to those of other filters.
Description of the Fluval Fx6 Aquarium Canister Filter
The water Fish tank filters comes with a high capacity of 3500l and it can take upto 925 gallons of water. The big capacity is great for people that have big fish tanks. Its media of filtering is of a good quality and it completes its water cleaning and filtering purpose in a short time. The he size of the canister makes the water filter a beast in the industry.
Features of the Fluval Fx6 Aquarium Canister Filter
- Extraordinary smart pump technology: that enables the restarting of the water tank for the better working of the item. After every 12 hours the device restarts to ensure that all the air trapped in it escapes and this brings about efficiency in the filtration process.
- Canister filter:that starts on its own to saves you time that you would spend setting everything up. You only need to add water and plug it in the then wait for it to complete the work. You do not need to even complete the priming process as the device has the ability to complete the job.
- With its utility valve aspect, the water tank filter enables you to empty all its content and allow it to drain and refill water back for efficient operation.
- Large clamps that lock the carnister to ensure that it is intact together with the motor hence preventing any possible leaks.
- All the materials used in the making of the machine are heavy duty and in your favor as they last longer.
- Warranty that lasts up to 3 years to keep you off the worries o spending more money in case you need to replace any of its parts.
- It fits in almost every aquarium due to its 2.1 tall make.
- Anticlog devices that strain debris form clogging the pipes.
- Media baskets that you can remove to eliminate water from bypassing
Pros of the Fluval Fx6 Aquarium Canister Filter
- The water filter operates in quiet mode due to the rubber stand that anchors it.
- Highly flexible and it is suitable for both salty and marine water filtration.
- Its clog strainers that ease your cleaning work as they prevent debris from blocking the filter.
- Through gravity pressure, the aqua valves simplify your maintenance tasks.
- The device keeps reminding you on its maintenance needs so that you do not incur losses if you forget to finish up the work.
Cons of the Fluval Fx6 Aquarium Canister Filter
- Expensive: due to its exceptional features, the water tank filter comes in a handy price. You might need to save in case you want to have the best experience with your filter device.
- Heavy: because of the heavy duty material used in its manufacture, the product is handy. At times you may need to place it outside always from the cabinet for a better maintenance.
- Too much effort needed when lifting the hose and releasing it for action
- During the cleaning process, you may need to use a towel to hold the water running form the filters.
Description of the 8. Ehm Fltr 2217 Classic Wm 264g
With its 20watts power consumption rate, the device has a long history of service to clients in the market. It is a powerful device that motor that keeps running throughout.
Its filters are classy featuring a great technology behind them that ensure that they work with high efficiency. It offers long term mechanical and biological filtering through its well calculated flow rate.
Features of the 8. Ehm Fltr 2217 Classic Wm 264g
- Warranty of up to two years
- It weighs 14.3 pounds
- Needs a maintenance of 3-6 months depending on the number of fish that you have in your aquarium
- Includes fine, coarse carbon pads that have a ehfimech design
- Ideal for chemical and carbon methods of filtration
- Robust filters with a high performance
- Coarse sponge and tough pit pellets to help in getting rid of debris easily
Pros of 8. Ehm Fltr 2217 Classic Wm 264g
- Easy to set up due to its uncomplicated user instructions
- Silent: from the moment you start the device, t does not give any sounds that may scare away children.
- The product has great way of aeration to create a conducive environment in the latter due to the reliability of the spray bar.
- Since it has the most outstanding filters, the device continues to last long and it is a product of choice for most people.
Cons of the 8. Ehm Fltr 2217 Classic Wm 264g
- Priming the 8. Ehm Fltr 2217 Classic Wm 264g is sometimes annoying especially if you cannot trace the hang of the priming.
- It is difficult to find the media of the product and you may have to wait long before you get help, unless you are lucky to connect with the customer care staff online.
Features of the SunSun Hw304B 525GPH Pro Canister Filter Kit
- 9W uv bulb that is great is creating a great environment in the aquarium by killing bacteria and algae spores that can be harmful to the fish. It also brings the crystal clear look in the aquarium.
- Ceramic rings that weigh upto 1lb.
- Canister filter of Hw-304B that creates convenience by helping in the syphoning of the water hence saving you the trouble for manually pumping it into the tank
- Bio balls that facilitate the three basic processes of water filtration including the mechanical, chemical and biological methods
- Ideal for about 150 gallons of water
- Good for both fresh and salty water
- Entails 4 media that enables you to add media like the activated carbons that are always included during the purchase of the item
- It has a flow rate of 525GPH
- It has the easy control for you to install and set up all that is needed and this is particularly for the HW-30B model
Pros of the SunSun Hw304B 525GPH Pro Canister Filter Kit
- Easy to maintain as it has clear directives on how to handle each of its parts
- Low noise due to the technology that the latter is used in its making
- High reliability and it outperforms other fish water tanks that may come in a bigger price.
- Affordable and it meets all the necessary manufacturing criteria hence giving users a great experience in every need that they want. People choose not to pay twice as more for a different water filter when they can access this at a better price
- The filter works perfectly and gives longer service and one can take longer without cleaning it because it automatically creates a good survival environment for the fish
- It is easy to set up the system and one can do it even without the user manual as long as they are keen on the key aspects that must be observed to increase the efficiency of the product
Cons of the SunSun Hw304B 525GPH Pro Canister Filter Kit
- Some filter motors do not work perfectly and they may be troublesome to some customers, particularly those that have no exposure to fish tank filters before
- Leaving the V light on longer than normal may lead to serious effects on your animals and this may be disappointing. Be sure to only use it for a shorter time
- 10. 200 Gallon Filter Aquarium Tank Fish Canister 9 W Sterilizer
Description of the product
The product has an inbuilt UV sterilizer and this brings more safety and aesthetic look in your aquarium. It handles 525 gallons per hour and with its 4 media baskets you can add the media that you prefer. It serves you in three ways by offering mechanical, biological and chemical methods of filtration.
Features of the 200 Gallon Filter Aquarium Tank Fish Canister 9 W Sterilizer
- Its maximum flow rate is 525gph
- It includes all the necessary accessories to get you started like the hose and many more
- Has a 4 stage filtration
- Filter only option that comes with great deals including the V light bulb which has 9W, trays for draining, spray tabs, cotton pads that are white in color to guide and help you in the cleaning process, the main heavy canister body, tubing that bring flexibility through their 5 feet length, connected and input bars that aid in the anchorage of the device.
- Sub current that skims the aquarium to remove the water surface hence improving the oxygen circulation in the aquarium.
- Heights that you can adjust to fit in any type of aquarium despite their shallow shape or broad shape
- A pump with the self-priming feature that completes the task when all the setup is complete.
Pros of the 200 Gallon Filter Aquarium Tank Fish Canister 9 W Sterilizer
- Great design of power switch: the switch has both a rubber and a plastic gasket that brings about safety to the device because it prevents it from being switched on or off without the users concept.
- The device is quite and this indicates that the propellers are working in the correct way and also it indicates that the air flow is in the right amount
- Strong plastic that holds the tank to the hook securing it form fall off hence giving you a long service
- Setting up the device is easy and there is always a team that is ready to help anyone that faces difficulties trying to assemble everything in the right place
- The water tank filter comes in a great admirable design that is well thought through
- Affordable: be sure to get more from the product even at its affordable price. It even gets better because the product offers you a variety of accessories for the installation process
Cons of the 200 Gallon Filter Aquarium Tank Fish Canister 9 W Sterilizer
- It is difficult to prime the canister filter and this may consume more of your time during the installation process
- You need to buy the water filter separately and it is not included in the box
- Depending on your budget, there is always something for you in the market that suits your needs.
- Be sure to research on the best fish water tank filters before completing your purchase. For the filters that have a UV bulb, be sure to switch it off when you do not need to use it as it can be harmful for your pet if left on for a long time.