tawkboard.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
We may earn a commission when you buy through links on our site at no extra cost to you. Here is our Affiliate disclosure page
The 10 Best Soil Moisture Meters for Perfect Watering
Watering your plants is one of the most important activities in the garden.
Some plants like succulents and cacti need frequent watering for them to thrive well.
Other plants need minimal watering, and each type of plant has varying watering needs that are not easy to measure by the eye.
As a gardener, you may not know when it is the right time to water your plants.
If you water your plants more than it is recommended, they may end up rotting in their roots, and thus they die off.
You should be careful about the watering needs of your plants and ensure that you give them enough water for them to grow into healthy and disease-free plants.
Soil moisture meters help you know when it is the right time to water your plants. The devices measure the amount of moisture that is present in your soil.
The soil moisture meters have a vital role in your garden because they guide you on when it is the right time to water your plants, and they also let you know when you should stop watering them.
The soil moisture meters are usually available in different sizes, prices and each of them has different prices and features.
In this article, we review some of the best soil moisture meters that you can use in your garden.
Factors to Consider When Buying Soil Moisture Meters
Some soil moisture meters are only meant to detect the amount of moisture in the soil while others detect the pH, Moisture, and sunlight.
You should purchase a soil moisture meter depending on the type of need you have for your garden.
Multifunctional tools are always the best because they can offer you different purposes all at once.
They also save the cost that you would have spent purchasing different tools for different purposes.
Each soil moisture meters comes at a different price, and it is up to you to decide on the amount of money that you want to spend on the item.
Some of the soil moisture meters are cheap, but they do not have high functionality, and they may also do not meet all your expectations.
You should value the soil moisture meters capabilities and its quality rather than its price.
Ease of Use
Some devices tend to have high accuracy, but their user interface is difficult to use.
Other tools do not require the use of batteries, and they have a friendly user interface. It is logic for a device that is less complicated to use.
An inaccurate soil moisture sensor is a total waste of time and money as it can never serve you the right purpose.
When selecting a tool, you should choose one that gives you the right results with high accuracy.
You should lookout for a soil moisture meters that gives you displays detailed values and that which has high precision.
Adaptability and design
You should choose a tool that has the simplest design and that which you can easily read.
It should be of high quality and durable for it to last long.
Soil moisture meters tools that have high adaptability to both indoor and outdoor conditions make them suitable for every user.
Description of the Xlux T10
This type of soil water moisture tool is suitable for use both indoors and outdoors.
It gives you real-time results on the condition of your plants, and in a few minutes, you get to know whether to water them or not.
It is suitable for use both in your garden and in grass lawns. It uses batteries, and it is one of the devices that give you an easy user interface for you to have a seamless experience when using it.
Features of the Xlux T10
- Eighteen months warranty, and this allows you to receive refunds and replacements for any item that has issues with its quality.
- The device has ten scales that make it easy to read. Its large display also makes the reading better and clear
- The device is easy to use thanks to its quick setting process. Besides, you get the results faster as long as you insert it to about 3 to 4 inches into the soil.
Pros of the Xlux T10
- The device does not require batteries to operate, and this improves its user interface
- The device is portable and light for you to carry it around
- You can use this tool to test the water moisture for various types of plants ranging from grass to different flowers in your garden
- You can easily read the moisture ranges of your plants form this device
Cons of the Xlux T10
- You cannot use this device in water as the conductivity of the water is low
- Then if you use the device on hard rocks, the device gets damaged as it is not strong enough
- You cannot leave the device in the soil for more than one hour as it gets damaged due to the moisture and water that it may absorb
Description of the Dr. Meter
This is the best soil water moisture that you can purchase. It only measures the moisturein the soil, and it cannot measure the water.
With the tool, you get to know when it is right to water your plants and prevent them from dehydration.
The meter gives accurate readings, and it is sturdy; hence you can expect a longer service from it.
Features of the Dr. Meter
- The device is gentle to the soil due to its thin, sleek design, and whenever you need to measure the amount of moisture in your soil, you do not have to dig out soil in large amounts, and with this, you do not disturb the roots of your plants.
- Does not require batteries, and you only need to stick it into the ground and get real-time readings in a few minutes.
- Compact as it enables you to avoid the hustle of sticking your finger into the ground to test if it is the right time to water your plants.
- Color-coded to help you read the nature of your soil in a few minutes. The item has colors ranging from red, green and blue
- Calibrated in a scale of up to 10 top help you view your results with ease
Pros of the Dr. Meter
- Easy to use: you do not need the experience to use this tool. You just need to plug it in and read the readings indicated in the scale
- The device saves you time as you do not need batteries to get it working
- You can carry the device with you in case you need to travel
- The device gives readings with high accuracy, and it is friendly to the environment as you do not have to insert it deeply into the soil for it to give accurate readings
Cons of the Dr. Meter
- You cannot use the device in hard rocks and sticky soils like clay
- You cannot leave the device in the soil for a long time else it gets damaged
- You cannot measure the water moisture with this device
Description of the Sonkir
If you need a multifunctional device, you can never go wrong with this one.
The device measures the soil water moisture, the ph, and the light in your soil. With this device, you can measure the condition of the soil in different places.
It is ideal to use it in large farms, grass lawns, and gardens. It maintains the health of your plants by updating you on their condition as long as you use it daily.
Features of the Sonkir
- Multifunctional: this soil water moisture tool tests the pH, moisture, and level of sunlight in the plants.
- With its multiple uses, you get to know when it is the appropriate time to attend to your plant
- Reliable: this is one of the devices that you can highly rely on thanks to its high accuracy level. The tool is made of the latest technology to quickly detect and record the state of your soil, and you can never go wrong by using it
- Easy to use: this is one of the simplest tools that you can use to measure the state of your soil.
- You only need to toggle it to the soil and wait to read the results. You do not require batteries to get it to read your soil water moisture state.
- You can use the device both outdoors and indoors and it high portability makes it easy for you to record your results in the shortest time
Pros of Sonkir
- The device is of high-quality thanks to the technology used in making it the best in the market
- Easy to use as you only toggle it to the ground and wait to read the results
- The price is reasonable, and you spend less on a quality device
- The simplicity of the device makes it easy for you to read real-time recordings. You do not have to keep loading it with batteries as it runs on its own
- The accuracy level of the device makes it easy a quick for you to know when it is the right time to water your plants and when you should stop watering them
Cons of the Sonkir
- The device does not have the ability to test the water
- The device is prone to damage, and you should always be careful about how you handle and maintain it
Description of the Alotpower
This device is also known as a hygrometer. It is known to be one of the most effective soil moisture meters in determining the state of your plants.
With it, you get to know whether your plants need watering or not. It is one of the best that you can choose to use in your gardens.
The device is also meant for large purposes like in farms, gardens, and grass lawns.
Features of the Alotpower
- The device is scientifically accurate, and it gives the right readings for you to keep your plants healthy
- It has high accuracy and gives the correct readings to prevent you from excessively watering your plants
- The device does not require the use of batteries, and this saves you the trouble of recharging it frequently
Pros of the Alotpower
- The device is easy to use as it does not require complicated setups for it to serve its purpose
- The high portability of the device enables you to carry it around, and you can use it both indoors and outdoors
- The tool gives you high reliability as you can use it to efficiently maintain the health of your plants without having to make the wrong estimations
- You do not require batteries to run the device, and this allows you to enjoy seamless experiences with it
Cons of the Alotpower
- It is impossible to test the water with this device, and you should always be cautious about exposing it to such environments
- The probe of the device is always prone to damage, and thus you should be extra cautious when using this type of device
Description of the Yoyomax
This type of device is specially meant to help go through your daily plant needs in the fastest way possible.
It has a special design that enables it to measure the moisture availability in your plants. With this device, you give your plants good health.
It is one of the high-quality devices you can purchase to make everything run smoothly in our garden or farm.
You can also use it in large scale environments to get the best results in a short time.
The device also indicates the pH of the soil and also the light available in the latter, and this keeps you informed on the things that you need to change in our plant environments to enable them to thrive efficiently.
Features of Yoyomax
- The device gives you reliability as you can test their things in your plants with it.
- The tool does not require the use of batteries for it to work and thus it gives you efficiency
- You can use the tool easily as you only need to plug it into the soil and get the results that you need to know about your soil
- The 3 in 1 design of the tool makes everything easy for you when using the device and you can get all the information you need to know about your plants
Pros of Yoyomax
- You can use the device both indoors and outdoors
- The device has high levels of accuracy, and it correctly records all the things you need to know about your soil
- The simplicity of the device reduces the time you may have spent trying to figure out how you should set it up
- The portability of the device gets you ready to test the state of the soil even on the farm that may be far from your home as you can carry it around
Cons of Yoyomax
- The prone of the device gets damaged quickly, and thus you should be careful on the environments you decide to use it
- The service cannot work in environments with water or any other liquids, and it may get damaged
REOTEMP Garden and Compost Moisture Meter
Description of the REOTEMP Garden and Compost Moisture Meter
If you are looking for a soil water moisture meter with a longer stem, this is the right one for you.
This type of meter measures the moisture of your soil form deep inside.
You need to insert the stem deeper into the soil, and with that, you can get accurate results to enable you to determine the right care that you need to give to your plants.
It is one of the most accurate meters due to its long stem.
Features of the REOTEMP Garden and Compost Moisture Meter
- It is calibrated with a scale of you to 10 to help you read the moisture in your plants easily
- The stem is 15cm long, and this enables it to give accurate results from the furthest point in the soil so that you can know how to handle the specific plant that you have in your farm
- The device has a stainless steel construction that prevents it from rusting even after exposing it to moist environments for longer moments
- The device uses batteries that you should always recharge after measuring the moisture of your soil
- The accuracy of the device is high, and it enables you to handle your plants in the right way
Pros of the REOTEMP Garden and Compost Moisture Meter
- Easy to use: the calibrations of this device make it easy to read and determine whether to water the plants or not
- The long stem of the tool makes it reliable as you can know the condition of your soil by measuring it from deeper in the soil
- The accuracy of the tool is impressionable, and it helps you take the right step in enhancing the health of your plants
- Sturdy and durable: the device is made up of steel, and this gives them a strong nature and a long-lasting one
- The length of the tool makes it a convenient one to use in your plants
Cons of the REOTEMP Garden and Compost Moisture Meter
- The device uses batteries that keep snapping out of their position whenever you need to insert the tool into the soil. If you do not charge the batteries adequately, the device cannot work
- The device only measures the amount of moisture in the soil, and thus it limits you on the vast things that you need to know about your soil
Luster Leaf 1835 Rapitest Dig 3W Analysis, 3-Way Digital Soil Analyzer
Description of the Luster Leaf 1835 Rapitest Dig 3W Analysis, 3-Way Digital Soil Analyzer
If you need a digital soil water moisture tester for your garden, this is the right for you. It uses the latest technology to detect the amount of moisture in your plants.
The device is designed with a great mechanism to help you determine the way that you should handle your plants to enhance their productivity and health.
When you take good care of your plants, you get to prolong their life and resistance to diseases.
Features of the Luster Leaf 1835 Rapitest Dig 3W Analysis, 3-Way Digital Soil Analyzer
- The device is a multipurpose one, and through its digital nature, it gets to measure the amount of moisture in your soil, the soil pH, and its fertility is that you can get to know whether it is time to add more fertilizer in the soil.
- The device is made in the USA, and it is tested to ensure that it meets all the needs of the buyer
- The digital device auto-adjust itself depending on the soil temperatures
- The device is easy to read, and it offers all the results digitally
- It indicates the fertility of the soil depending on the temperatures prevailing in the soil
Pros of the Luster Leaf 1835 Rapitest Dig 3W Analysis, 3-Way Digital Soil Analyzer
- The device is much easier to read compared to normal soil pH tools that only indicate the temperatures and moisture in the soil through calibrated scales
- The packaging of the device is exceptional, and it comes in a great look to attract the attention of the buyer
- The level of accuracy of this device is high, and it ensures that the reader gets the results in an accurate and digital view
- The device is easy to use, and it lacks unnecessary complications that may make a reader unable to read the right results which may interfere with their decision on whether to water the soil or not
Cons of the Luster Leaf 1835 Rapitest Dig 3W Analysis, 3-Way Digital Soil Analyzer
- At times, the digital soil water moisture tester fails to give the right readings and t may mislead you in terms of how you should handle your plants
- The device is expensive compared to other devices
ECOWITT WH0291 Soil Moisture Tester Plant Soil Moisture Sensor Meter with Digital LCD Display
Description of the ECOWITT WH0291 Soil Moisture Tester Plant Soil Moisture Sensor Meter with Digital LCD Display
This is another digital device that is made of the latest technology that enhances its ability to read the temperatures in the soil, amongst other things.
The soil water moisture tester is ideal in recording the prevailing conditions in our soil to give you the right readings depending on the condition of your soil.
It has an LCD display that makes it easy for you to read the recordings that it gives.
Features of the ECOWITT WH0291 Soil Moisture Tester Plant Soil Moisture Sensor Meter with Digital LCD Display
- This type of device measures the soil moisture within 7 seconds of placing it in your soil
- It has 2 AA batteries that facilitate its display and enables it to record the moisture in real-time as well as indicate the time on its screen
- The device is waterproof, and this makes it unique compared to other devices used in measuring the moisture in your soil
- The tool is suitable for use both indoors and outdoors, and it continues t give our real-time moisture recordings whenever you go out high portability is also an exceptional feature that allows you to carry it around and have results of the various soils in your farm
Pros of the ECOWITT WH0291 Soil Moisture Tester Plant Soil Moisture Sensor Meter with Digital LCD Display
- The LCD Display of this device gives it clarity as you can read the temperatures of the soil quickly without straining your eyes
- The device is easy to use as you only need to insert the batteries and insert the stem in the soil for it records the state of the latter
- The high accuracy level of the device makes it the best that you can have in your garden
- High portability enables you to carry it around
Cons of the ECOWITT WH0291 Soil Moisture Tester Plant Soil Moisture Sensor Meter with Digital LCD Display
- You cannot leave this device in the soil for a long time as it uses batteries which may run out hence making it unable to give you the right readings
- You should not use his device in rocky soils as it gets damaged quickly
- The device is not sturdy enough
General Tools DSMM500 Precision Digital Soil Moisture Meter with Probe
Description of the General Tools DSMM500 Precision Digital Soil Moisture Meter with Probe
This is the most accurate soil moisture tester that you can get. It gives its soil moisture from 0-50%.
It is an expensive device, but you can be sure of the best results if you use it in your soil it is also suitable for vulnerable and sensitive soils.
It is a digital device that serves you to your expectations.
Features of the General Tools DSMM500 Precision Digital Soil Moisture Meter with Probe
- It is designed to test the soil moisture quickly, and you can use it for agricultural, commercial, and professional uses.
- It is approved by the RoHS hence it guarantees you the best moisture testing
- It is waterproof unlike most soil moisture testers
- It completes the work within 05.8 seconds
- It is heavy-duty material with 8 inches
- It is designed with data saving mechanism that can enable you to know the previous recordings of your soil moisture
Pros of the General Tools DSMM500 Precision Digital Soil Moisture Meter with Probe
- This device is highly accurate, and you can always rely on it for your daily soil moisture testing activities in the soil
- It is durable thanks to the heavy-duty materials used in making it hence it gives you a longer service
- The item is easy to use due to the easy displays of the readings that it gives you
- The device is waterproof hence you should not be worried about using it in wet environments
Cons of the General Tools DSMM500 Precision Digital Soil Moisture Meter with Probe
- The device uses batteries, and this may make it unsuitable to leave in the soil for a long time
- This is the most expensive device despite its inability to have a multipurpose functionality
Sustee Aquameter (Green, Large) – Plant Soil Moisture Meter, Sensor, Probe, Indicator
Description of the Sustee Aquameter (Green, Large) – Plant Soil Moisture Meter, Sensor, Probe, Indicator
This is another great device that allows you to measure the amount of moisture in your soil and set time when you need to water it.
The device gives accurate readings, and it is one of the most sought after tools in the market. Besides, it is an award-winning gadget for soil moisture testing.
It is made in Tokyo through rampant researches to determine its capability in giving the most reliable results for your soil.
Features of the Sustee Aquameter (Green, Large) – Plant Soil Moisture Meter, Sensor, Probe, Indicator
- The device has a special mechanism that enables it to enhance its readability by turning blue whenever it reaches the highest moisture recordings.
- If there is less moisture in your soil, it slowly starts to turn white
- It also comes in a sustee size L for large pots, and thus you can be sure to get the right size depending on the size of your pots
- It has cores that you can refill after about 6-8 months of use
- You can leave the device in your soil continuously for it to keep monitoring the state of your soil moisture. Does not require the use of batteries to run it
- Award-winning tool due to its ability to conserve the environment and make your soil safe for your plants.
Pros of the Sustee Aquameter (Green, Large) – Plant Soil Moisture Meter, Sensor, Probe, Indicator
- Comes in a small size that enhances its portability
- The ability of the device to display readings in two colors allows you to quickly view its progress and record the state of your soil moisture
- High quality, and it is one of the sturdy soil moisture tools you can have.
Cons of the Sustee Aquameter (Green, Large) – Plant Soil Moisture Meter, Sensor, Probe, Indicator
- Most times, the device only changes color when there is a high amount of water in your soil. This feature may make it inadequate for use